Wednesday, June 15, 2005

In the Blink of an Eye

Yep - it was over nearly that quick. All of the preparation, exasperation and -honestly - trepidation and the retirement ceremony came and went.

I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout - many of my co-workers showed up, I was happy to see them there. We still overplanned on food, taking nearly half of what we made back home with us. Looks like we'll be eating ham and turkey sub sandwiches for lunch and dinner the rest of the week.

The most surreal part of the entire ceremony was listening to CDR Wiseman's remarks about my career. He certainly made it sound much more glamorous than I recalled. On a couple occasions I thought to myself, "Is he talking about me?"

Yesterday I posted about not knowing what direction to go in my speech. Well, I did a little of both. Wasn't even sure what the content would be until I started talking - all I had was an outline. Intro, talk about the past, thank family and friends and then discussed what we were doing next.

Appropriate to the name of my space here, I concluded with the following comment:

I'm thankful to have enlisted under President Reagan, been commissioned under President Bush and now retiring under yet another President Bush.

I guess it just can't get much better than that. Thank goodness I didn't have to go through life with John Kerry's name at the bottom of my retirement certicate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home